Information on requirement of registration for OCI in lieu of PIO cards
* It is hereby informed that the last date of submission of online applications for registration as OCI cardholder in lieu of PIO card by the erstwhile PIO cardholders who hold valid PIO cards as on 09 January 2015 has been extended to 30 June 2017. This should be done at https://passport.gov.in/oci.
* The applicants should submit the applications for OCI card in lieu of PIO card to the Embassy/Consulates/FFRO concerned within the Consular jurisdiction of his/her current place of residence. This is in modification of the earlier instruction that they should apply only at the location where the PIO card was issued.
Applications for registration as OCI Cardholder is to be submitted only on the online system.
For this purpose, please log on to https://passport.gov.in/oci.
Documents to be submitted with the application
1. Proof of present citizenship – Copy of present valid passport (applicable in all cases), with validity of minimum 6 months at the time of submission of application.
2. In case application is submitted in India, copy of any type of Visa (other than Missionary Visa and Mountaineering Visa)/ Residential Permit with 3 months validity as on the date of application.
3. Evidence of self or parents or grandparents or great grandparents-
(a) Being a citizen of India at the time of, or at any time after the commencement of the Constitution i.e. 26.01.1950; or
(b) Being eligible to become a citizen of India at the time of commencement of the Constitution i.e. 26.01.1950; or
(c) Belonging to a territory that became part of India after 15th August, 1947.
These could be:
(i) Copy of the Indian Passport; or
(ii) Copy of the Domicile Certificate issued by the Competent Authority; or
(iii) Copy of Nativity Certificate from the competent authority; or
(iv) OCI Card/ PIO card of parents/ spouse along with the base papers/ documents upon which the OCI/ PIO card was issued; or
(v) Any other proof substantiating the request. Usually applicants are able to submit a certificate of residence or place of birth of self/parents/grandparents from First Class Magistrate/District Magistrate (DM) of the concerned place.
4. Evidence of relationship as parent/grandparent/ great grandparent, if their Indian origin is claimed as basis for registration as OCI Cardholder:
The document of relationship could be “Birth Certificate” issued from competent authority mentioning both parents’ name. In case the birth certificate is issued by a foreign authority, it is to be Apostle or endorsed by the concerned Indian Mission abroad.
5. In case of minor child whose both parents are citizens of India or one of the parents is a citizen of India –
(i) Copy of child’s birth certificate
(ii) Copy of Indian passport of the parents / one of the parents or copy of the Domicile Certificate or Nativity Certificate issued by the Competent Authority in respect of the parents/ one of the parents or any other proof substantiating the status of the parents/ one of the parents as being Indian citizen(s). (iii) If the parents are divorced, court order of dissolution of marriage, which specifically mentions that the legal custody of the child is with the parent who is applying for the OCI card.
6. Evidence as spouse of foreign origin of a citizen of India or spouse of foreign origin of an OCI Cardholder –
(i) Registered marriage certificate; and
(ii) In the case of spouse of an Indian citizen - copy of the Indian Passport of the spouse or copy of the Domicile Certificate or Nativity Certificate issued by the Competent Authority in respect of the Indian spouse or any other proof substantiating the status of the spouse as being an Indian citizen.
(iii) In the case of spouse of an OCI Cardholder - Copy of the present valid Passport of the spouse and copy of the OCI Card of the spouse and copies of the documents upon which the OCI Card was issued to the spouse
7. Copy of personbavies.
Specifications for Photograph
Photograph to be affixed on the application should be of square shape of size not less than 51x 51 mm (with 80% coverage of face). It should have plain light color background (not white) without the border with front view of person’s head and shoulders showing the full face in middle of the photograph. It should not be stapled and should not have any signature.
Note: Photographs that do not conform to the above standards will be rejected and may cause delay in processing the applications.
* OCI card is a smart card which will facilitate quicker immigration clearance at the Immigration counters in India.
* While the grant of OCI card in lieu of PIO card will be gratis, the applicants will have to bear the postage charges, wherever applicable.
* Till they are issued OCI cards, PIO cardholders can travel to India on the basis of their valid PIO cards/ and valid foreign passports.
* In cases of valid PIO cardholders, who have been issued a new foreign passport will have to get the new passport endorsed on their PIO card till they are issued an OCI card.